Monday, May 15, 2006

In the beginning...

...there were rotations.

Like most grad programs in the life sciences, my program requires rotations through different labs during the first year. We have (or at least we had) some control over the length and number of rotations, which greatly favors the student. If the lab is great, you stay a long time. If the lab stinks, you cut out of there as quickly as you can.

I ended up doing two rotations, but for a while I thought I'd only do one. My first rotation was with the lab I ended up picking, and the project was going well enough that I didn't see any reason to rotate anywhere else. Afterall, if your rotation project goes well then the rest of grad school will go right, right? Not necessarily (I expect future posts will cover this in greater detail).

After some pressure from the director of graduate studies, I did a second rotation. While I did it as a formality, I felt at the time that it validated my desire to join the first lab. My advisor during the second rotation was a micro-manager. Every day he'd stop by my desk and want to see exactly what I had/hadn't accomplished that day. I got sick of the nagging, so I knew that lab wasn't for me.

As of this writing, I feel like I did it all wrong. At the time, I thought it was about the science, but now I realize that this is not the point of the rotation at all. So, here are my tips for the rotation process that first year grad students go through:
  1. Do as many rotations as you can. I realize that most departments won't allow for this, but if you have any control, then you'll only benefit from the increased exposure of multiple labs.
  2. During your rotation--during the time you are physically at your bench/desk--stay focused on the science. Read papers that are relevant. Ask questions. Try to think of experiments beyond the ones the PI has already come up. Even if they're dumb experiments, it will show the PI that you're trying and that you're a thinker.
  3. During the rest of your rotation--anytime your hands are not on pipettes, plates, flasks, etc.--focus on everything else. Take note of work the ethic, expectations, and overall culture of the lab. In the end, these things will be much more important than the little bit of science you get done during your rotation.
  4. Listen carefully. You'll learn infinitely more by listening than by speaking. Listen to what your labmates say to each other. Listen to the instructions they give you. Listen carefully in lab meetings.
  5. Use one-on-one time with other labmates to get their opinion of the lab. Drop by on weekends and evenings and see who you can find burning the midnight oil. Ask them if they're happy. If they look away, then you already have your answer. Think of some questions ahead of time, but try to not come across as an interogator.
  6. Look for themes. If everyone in the lab complains about a certain thing then you really have to ask yourself if that would bother you too. PIs aren't likely to change, so you have find one that is a fairly good fit for you (rather than thinking that you can change them over time). It doesn't work in marriages, and it certainly doesn't work with grad school advisors.
  7. Portray a positive, hopeful attitude about staying with the lab. Even if you know in your heart of hearts that you absolutely will or will not stay in the lab, just make it seem like you're definitely considering it, but not yet decided. If you signal that you're not going to stay, then you might find yourself getting the cold shoulder from the PI for the remainder of your rotation. If you offer too much hope (or make the colossal blunder of actually promising that you'll join the lab) and then later change your mind then you're likely to upset the PI. You don't want to burn any bridges, especially with someone who might end up on your dissertation committee.
  8. End your rotation by letting the PI know when you hope to tell them your decision. It's appropriate to ask about lab funding (don't join a bankrupt lab!), but don't get into the nitty-gritty until later.
  9. Once you've decided which lab you'll join, it's worth visiting with each of your rotation PIs to tell them of your decision. Let them know why you've made your choice without dissing on them or their lab. Emphasize how certain aspects of your choice were the best fit for you. Let them know that you enjoyed your rotation, and that you look forward to interacting with them over the next few years (just not on a daily basis).
These tips come from my own rotation experience and having watched a number of rotation students come through my lab. Some have excelled and some have crashed and burned. Keep your head on your shoulders, stay positive, work hard, listen, play it straight, and you should be in good shape.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home